Saturday, August 29, 2009
OTA Installation of a Blackberry Application
After completing an application the next big step is to install the application OTA(over the air).
The Steps for OTA installation
1. For OTA the cod and jad files will be needed.
2. Sign your cod if required.
3. Now if cod file size is bigger than 64 kb then rename it to *.zip file and try
a. If it cannot be unzipped rename it to *.cod, there are no sibling files inside.
b. If it can be unzipped, delete zip file after it is unzipped.
Then you will have more than one cod like name.cod, name-1.cod, name-2.code, and so on.
4. Place jad file and all extracted cod files to a folder(for example : ota) on
5. Now you have to set MIME types for the files.
a) Inside the folder (ota) that contains jad and cods, create a file with name .htaccess
please note a dot symbol before the name.
b) And add the following content to this file and save it.
AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad
AddType application/java-archive jar
AddType application/vnd.rim.cod cod
6. Now you are ready to install the application through OTA.
7. Just hit the link of the jad file through the bb browser. It will automatically
start install the application in the device.