Blackberry applications can be developed using Blackberry JDE, Eclipse Plugin, Netbeans plugin and Visual Studio Plugin.
I use Blackberry JDE for my development. I prefer this because this is provided by the RIM.
We have to follow the following steps for making our PC to start HelloWorld using BB JDE.
1. Before staring it is very important to choose the JDE. Have a look at this KnowledgeBase article.
2. For example you chosen JDE 4.6.0.
You can download any other version from here.
3. Now Install the "BlackBerry_JDE_4.6.0.exe" that you downloaded
4. Install any latest JDK (ex: jdk-6u5-windows-i586-p.exe)
5. Update your environment variable.
Control Panel -> System -> Environment variables -> click path in the system variables ->
Edit. Now add the following in Variable value ; each with a semicolon in the end
a) C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_05\bin
b) C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin
c) C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.6.0\bin
6. Restart your PC or simply the logoff will do.
Now we are ready to start HelloWorld in Blackberry :)